A physical person may carry out installations of air conditioning, heating, ventilation and hot-water systems in the Republic of Cyprus, according to the Regulating the Energy Efficiency of Buildings Law of 2006 to 2017, once he/she acquires a registration certificate as issued by the Energy Service of the Ministry of Energy, Commerce, and Industry.
The Technical Systems installed in a building include the following:
(i) Ventilation and heat recovery systems;
(ii) Heating, cooling, air conditioning, humidifying, dehumidification systems using cooling fluids;
(iii) Small cooling systems;
(iv) Large central air conditioning systems;
(v) Air conditioning systems with water or air heat pumps;
(vi) Closed circuit geothermal piping system;
(vii) Central heating and hot water production systems using liquid fuels;
(viii) Central heating and hot water production systems using solid fuels;
(ix) Central heating and hot water production systems using electric boilers/heat pumps;
(x) Central heating and hot water production systems using gaseous fuels;
(xi) Liquid and gaseous fuel storage containers;
(xii) Central heating and hot water production systems using renewable energy sources in combination with liquid fuel installations;
(xiii) Central heating and hot water production systems using solar energy;
(xiv) Hot water production systems and installation of hot and cold water supply systems.
“Relevant Work” means the installation, regulation and control of technical equipment for heating, air conditioning and ventilation, production of hot water systems for proper functionality and operation.
“Boiler (liquid, gas and solid fuels)” means the common boiler system and burner unit designed to transmit to liquid heat generated by combustion.
“Air conditioning system” means a combination of the elements required to process indoor air, through which the temperature is controlled or can be reduced.
“Certificate of Registration” means a certificate of registration issued by the Competent Authority (Energy Service) which maintains and manages the Registry and is a presumption that the holder is registered therein.
“Certification Body for Professional Qualifications” means the Cyprus Human Resources Development Authority which is governed by the provisions of the Human Resources Development Law.
“Certificate of Professional Qualification” means the certificate given to the installer as the official result of an evaluation and validation process, which is achieved when the Qualification certification body finds that a person has achieved knowledge, skills and abilities that meet specific standards.
“Examination Centers” means organisations approved by the Certification Body for Professional Qualifications to organize examinations on the basis of specific standards, Standards of professional qualification after application submitted to the Certification Body for approval as examination centers in accordance with procedures included in the Policy and Procedures Guide for the System of Professional Qualifications, issued by the Certification Body for Professional Qualifications.
Categories of Installers of Technical Equipment & the required Certificates of Professional Qualifications
(issued by the Certification Body of Professional Qualifications for the level of the Qualified Craftsman)
Category A: Installers of technical equipment for heating systems.
I. Building Industry, Professional Qualification “Central Heating Systems” (Level 4);
II. Building Industry, Professional Qualification “Plumbing” (Level 4).
Category B: Installers of technical equipment for air conditioning and ventilation systems
I. Building Industry, Professional Qualification “Plumbing” (Level 4);
II. Building Industry, Professional Qualification “Cooling and Air Conditioning Systems” (Level 4).
Category C: Installers of technical equipment for hot water production systems
I. Building Industry, Professional Qualification “Plumbing” (Level 4).
Who is Eligible
Any physical person may be registered in the Registry of Installers of Technical Systems of Buildings as an Authorized Installer of Technical Systems of Building, in one or more of the above mentioned categories, if meets the following criteria set by Energy Service:
- he/she is a citizen of the Republic of Cyprus or on the day of application, he/she is the spouse of a citizen of the Republic of Cyprus and he/she usually resident in the Republic of Cyprus, or is a citizen of an EU Member State established in the Republic of Cyprus;
- he/she has a good knowledge of the Greek language (Cyprus Citizens);
- he/she possess the certificates of professional qualifications for the categories set out in Annex VI (in the “Description”) of the Energy Efficiency of Buildings (Installers of Technical Systems for Buildings ) Regulations of 2018, Regulatory Administrative Act (R.A.A.) 285/2018 (in the ‘Applications & Documents’);
- he/she is registered as an employed/self-employed person to the Social Insurance Plan of social security services;
- he/she practices the profession legally in the Member State he/she is established and holds an acting licence or certificate of installer of technical systems which has been granted to him/her by another EU Member State (in the case of a citizen of a Member State who is established in other Member State of European Union apart from the Republic of Cyprus).
Civil servants who install technical systems of buildings in public buildings are exempted from the obligation to pay a registration fee for registration in Registry.
Where to Apply
Application forms for registration as an installer of buidings’ technical systems can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or by contacting directly the competent authority:
Ministry of Energy, Commerce and Industry
Andreas Araouzos 13-15,
Tel: +357 22 409411, +357 22 409390
Fax: +357 22304759
Contact Person: Mr. Cristis Yiallouros
Tel: +357 22 409411
Which Certificates must be Submitted
(A) In the case of a citizen of the Republic of Cyprus (as specified in Annex II to R.A.A.285/2018) the application form for registration as a Building Technical Systems Installer must be accompanied by the following documents:
- a copy of an identity card or a driver’s passport or a marriage certificate (for a spouse of a citizen of the Republic of Cyprus who is a third-country national) (certified copy if the application is submitted by post);
- a copy of registration in the V.A.T. register (as self-employed);
- a copy of a certificate of professional qualifications in accordance with the certificates available to the applicant for the categories set out in Annex VI of R.A.A.285/2018;
- a copy of a certificate of registration in the Social Security Scheme as an employed/self-employed person;
- a copy of a diploma from Secondary Education from a recognized School in Cyprus or Greece, which has as basic teaching language Greek or Certificate of success in the examination conducted by the Ministry of Education and Culture for the determination of good knowledge of the Greek language;
- a copy of proof of payment of the registration fee for registration in the registry of technical system installers.
(B) In case of a citizen of a Member State of the European Union , who is established in a Member State other than the Republic of Cyprus, the application form (as defined in Annex IV of R.A.A.285/2018), for registration in Cyprus registry of installers of Technical Systems of Buildings must be accompanied by the following documents:
- a copy of identity card or passport;
- a copy of an installer’s licence or professional certificate of installer (valid) in a corresponding category of installer for which the application is being made granted to candidate by a Member State of the European Union in which he is established and in which he/she is legally practicing the profession of installer;
- a copy of a certificate of attendance of a training program with detailed description of the training program attended by the installer, the subjects in which he/she has been trained and the hours of training;
- a copy of proof of payment of the registration fee for registration in the registry for installers of technical systems of buildings.
Fees Applicable & How to Pay
- Registration of Building Technical Systems Installer: €130+VAT;
- Renewal of registration after practicing the profession for six (6) consecutive years: €65+VAT;
- Registration in additional system category/categories has no additional cost (€0).
The applicant is informed for the authorization decision within one month from the date on which the application form and supporting documents have been duly submitted.
Licence Validity Period
The professional license is valid for 6 years. The registration renewal fee every six (6) consecutive years is €65 + VAT.
Dispute with the Competent Authority's Decision
How to File an Administrative Action
Administrative Action Against a Competent Authority’s Decision
Any person may file an Administrative Action at the Administrative court against a decision, act or omission of any competent authority or body.
Pursuant to Article 146 of the Constitution, an Administrative Action may be lodged within 75 days from the date of the decision or act or omission or from the day when such decision or act or omission was notified to the applicant.
The Administrative Court acts as a cassation Court and not as a substantive Court. In other words, the Administrative Court may:
I. Dismiss the Administrative Action
II. Annul wholly or partially the contested decision or act
III. Compel the relevant authority or body to take a certain action
After a decision is annulled, the authority and/or public body must reverse things back to the state prior to when the concerned decision and/or act was executed and reexamine.
How to Appeal
An Appeal may be filed against the Administrative Court’s first-instance decision within a period of 42 days from the date such a decision was given.
At the Supreme Court (Court of Appeal Section) hearing, the contested issue of the appeal remains the legality of the decision or act already adjudicated. However, such a revision of the legality of the decision or act is solely examined on the matters and the extent that the two parties have limited the reasons in the relevant notice of appeal.
The decision adopted by the Supreme Court is considered final in relation to the matter that has been judged.
Legislation & Obligations
Which Laws and Regulations Apply
What are my Obligations
Installer of Technical Systems of Buildings:
(a) carry out relevant work in accordance with the procedure laid down in the Qualifications Standards issued by the Certification body for professional qualifications for the professional fields of the construction industry.
It is considered that all electrical installations (wiring, contracting, operation and maintenance) are carried out in accordance with the provisions of the Electricity Law and the Regulations issued according to Law, by registered persons holders of a corresponding certificate of competency and in force a certificate of registration, issued by the Director of the Department of Electromechanical Services in accordance with the provisions of the Electricity Law and the Regulations issued under it.
(b) after each installation, a certificate is issued to the owner concerning the installation of the technical system and its operation.
It is assured that a confirmation for the electrical installation shall be issued only by a person who satisfies the provisions of paragraph (a).
(c) send to the competent authority, by 15 March each year at the latest, a complete list of the establishments carried out during the previous year.
(d) complies with the provisions of the Occupational Safety and Health at Work Act and the Regulations issued under it.
The competent authority may suspend or terminate the registration of a technical system installer in the register of technical system installers when the installer:
(a) does not comply with any obligation under the provisions of these Regulations;
(b) when the installer systematically fails to carry out his duties properly, after complaints from owners, provided that this fact comes to attention of the competent authority;
(c) when the installer commits, assists or incites an offence as specified in the provisions of the Law.
In the event of suspension or termination of registration of a person as an installer, the competent authority shall notify (written) the person concerning, the reasons for the suspension or termination of registration and inform it of the procedure for lodging a hierarchical appeal in accordance with the provisions of the Law.
The competent authority, together with the notification of suspension or termination of the installers may request the person concerned to return to the competent authority:
(a) the certificate of registration on registry;
(b) any data or documents provided by owners of the building systems or by their representatives and which relate to the technical system installed by that person in his capacity as a building technical systems installer.
The frequency of regulation and control of heating and air conditioning systems is stated in a ministerial Decree.
The adjustment and control process is stated according to the guide of adjustment, control of heating and air conditioning systems.
The frequency of adjustment and control of heating systems is specified in Ministerial Decree.
The procedure for adjustment and control is stated according to the guide of regulation and control of heating systems issued by the Energy Service.
All relevant documents (application forms for registration to the register of installers, legislations concerning installers of technical systems of buildings as well as the regulation and control of heating and air conditioning systems) are posted in the section ‘Applications & Documents’.