Loudspeakers Utilisation

Utilization of Loudspeakers

General Information

In order to utilise loudspeakers/jukebox at one’s business premises in the Republic of Cyprus, one needs to obtain the licence for the utilization of loudspeakers by the District Officer or an authorized person by the District Officer.

Every physical person or legal entity can get permission to utilize loudspeakers provided that he/she applies to his/her local District Administration Office and obtain the above-mentioned license.

The application for the utilization of loudspeakers can be submitted either through the PSC Cyprus or you can contact directly the local District Administration Office:

District Administration Nicosia
Alkaiou 2, 1458 Nicosia
Tel.: +357 22804304
Fax: + 357 22804314
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: http://www.moi.gov.cy/da

District Administration Limassol
P.O.Box 56062, 3304 Limassol
Tel.: +357 25806500
Fax: +357 25305027
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: http://www.moi.gov.cy/da

District Administration Larnaca
P.O.Box 40103, 6301 Larnaca
Tel.: +357 24805152
Fax.: +357 24304635
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: http://www.moi.gov.cy/da

District Administration Paphos
Nikodimou Milona 5,
Tel.: +357 26801107
Fax.: +357 26306251
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: http://www.moi.gov.cy/da

District Administration Famagusta
P.O.Box 33130, 5311 Paralimni
Tel.: +357 23812070
Fax.: +357 23827735
E-mail: [email protected]
Website: http://www.moi.gov.cy/da

  1. The application should be accompanied by the following documents:

    • Copy of the operation licence from the Deputy Ministry of Tourism, in case the premises concern catering and entertainment establishment;
    • Copy of Licence for the sale of intoxicating liquors by the appropriate Licensing Authority, where applicable;
    • Copy of Licence of Operation by the Local Authority, where applicable.

There are no fees applicable.

The applicant is informed regarding the authorisation decision within approximately 20 days from the date that the application form and supporting documents were duly submited.

Every licence shall expire on the 12th of March next following the date of issue, for premises where a licence for the sale of intoxicating liquors was issued.

Administrative Action against a Competent Authority’s Decision

Any person may file an Administrative Action at the Administrative Court against a decision, act, or omission of any competent authority or body.

Pursuant to Article 146 of the Constitution, an Administrative Action may be lodged within 75 days from the date of the decision or act or omission or from the day when such decision or act or omission was notified to the applicant.

The Administrative Court acts as a cassation Court and not as a substantive Court. In other words, the Administrative Court may:
I. Dismiss the Administrative Action
II. Annul wholly or partially the contested decision or act
III. Compel the relevant authority or body to take a certain action

After a decision is annulled, the authority and/or public body must reverse things back to the state prior to when the concerned decision and/or act was executed and reexamine.

Appeal Information

An Appeal may be filed against the Administrative Court’s first-instance decision within a period of 42 days from the date such a decision was given.

At the Supreme Court (Court of Appeal Section) hearing, the contested issue of the appeal remains the legality of the decision or act already adjudicated. However, such a revision of the legality of the decision or act is solely examined on the matters and the extent that the two parties have limited the reasons in the relevant notice of appeal.

The decision adopted by the Supreme Court is considered final in relation to the matter that has been judged.



No person shall use or operate or cause or permit any other person to use or operate any loudspeaker, megaphone, amplifier or other instrument automatically, mechanically or electrically amplifying or transmitting amplified sound:

  • In any public place or;
  • In any other place in such manner or circumstances that the sound so amplified is audible in any public place.

Save under a permit issued by the District Officer or such person as the District Officer may authorize in that behalf and in accordance with such conditions as may be attached to such permit.

The Police is responsible for the inspection of premises and for the general implementation of the above mentioned legal provisions.